Losing a Facebook account is not an uncommon occurrence. We all know someone who has lost their Facebook account to hackers, jealous partners, or defective memories. Heck, maybe we have lost a Facebook account before and just made a new one to replace it.
It may be easy to make a new Facebook account to replace an old one, but we also lose a lot of contacts, memories, pictures, and profit if your account is set up as a Facebook business account.
A Facebook account you have had for several years is quite irreplaceable. A lot of your friends are reachable only through Facebook. Not all your Facebook pics are saved or backed up in another storage. And what about all thosereal Facebook likes that you have collected over the years?
A whole disruption to your life also occurs when you lose your Facebook. You will have to go through the hassles of informing everyone that has lost your Facebook and will have to add everyone as friends again.
A whole host of problems can be avoided if you could just recover a lost Facebook account.
Thankfully, there are ways to recover your Facebook account. This short read aims to teach you how to recover a Facebook account.
Ways You Can Lose Control of Your Facebook Account
There are several ways one can lose their Facebook account. Most of them involve another party who has malicious intent, and some are just solely because of your bad memory or lazy password habits.
Here are the most common ways you can lose your Facebook accounts. Inform yourself so you can avoid losing your Facebook:
- Sharing your Facebook password with another person – This particular way you lose a Facebook account usually involves sharing Facebook passwords with significant others. Jealous partners threaten you by doubting your faithfulness when you refuse to share your Facebook password.
- Break up with these types of people because you know that real relationships are not measured by the personal boundaries you have to give up. Protect yourself and protect your Facebook as a consequence.
- Having one password for everything – We are all guilty of having just one password to unlock everything we have online, including Facebook accounts. If someone gets hold of that one password, then you are done for. Maybe your Facebook should be the least of your worries.
- Facebook itself is hacked – Every once in a while, institutions like Facebook are hacked. It is not unheard of that Facebook has had some security breaches in the past. If you are affected by these attacks on Facebook and have lost your Facebook account, contact Facebook customer service to have your account recovered.
- Leaving your device unsecured – Using a public portal like a net café or a public library to access Facebook without properly logging out on Facebook may leave you vulnerable to people with bad intentions. Using a phone without a screen lock is also as dangerous.
Conscientiously log out of your Facebook account when using public portals or public Wi-Fi. Also, make a screen lock that only you know how to unlock.
How to Recover a Facebook Account Using a Desktop Computer
There are 2 ways you can recover your account through a web browser.
A. When your password does not work, use this method:
1. Go to Facebook.com using a web browser.
2. Click on the blue highlighted text ‘Forgot password?’
3. Facebook will send a code to the mobile number you have registered on your account.
4. Enter the 6-digit code Facebook sends you.
5. Create a new password. Make sure it is different from your previous one.
6. Tick the option that lets you log out of your Facebook on all other devices and click ‘Continue.’
7. You now have access to your account and will lock out anyone who does not know your new password.
B. You can recover your Facebook account through another Facebook account:
1. Go to Facebook on a web browser.
2. On a separate Facebook account that you are friends with, look for your account through the friends list.
3. Click on the 3 dots menu (…).
4. Click on ‘Find support or report profile.’
5. Click on ‘Something else’ on the subsequent menu.
6. Tap ‘Recover this account.’
7. Enter an email or mobile number associated with your account to be recovered.
8. Input the 6-digit code you receive on your email or mobile.
9. Create a new, different, and stronger password.
10. Log out all other devices to lock out trespassers to your Facebook.
11. You will now have access to your Facebook account via a new password. Note that you can’t recover deleted messages by this process.
How to Recover a Facebook Account Using a Mobile Device
If you suspect your Facebook is being accessed by other people, change your password right away to lock them out through these steps:
1. Tap the Facebook icon on your phone’s home screen.
2. Go to your Facebook home page.
3. Tap on the three horizontal lines menu.
4. Tap on the gear icon.
5. Tap on ‘Passwords and security’ on the subsequent menu.
6. Click ‘Change password’.
7. Input your current password, and your new password, and re-type this new password.
8. Tap ‘Update Password.’
9. You will lock out anyone who has your old password and recover your Facebook account for yourself.
What Happens to Your Facebook is Ultimately Your Responsibility
Be careful not to leave your Facebook susceptible to people who might want to hack and use your Facebook account for their despicable purposes. Your Facebook password is yours and yours alone.
Teach people who you consider next of kin that your privacy and boundaries should not be violated, and you will never have Facebook recovery problems again.